I volunteer for New Rattitude Rat Terrier Rescue
Helping to find rescued Ratties in need their second chance at life in good fit forever homes.




Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Sierra and The Mona Lisa

What does Sierra have in common with the Mona Lisa? I have been thinking of how best to describe little Sierra and her cute personality. Then I thought of the Mona Lisa and the question that is always pondered "why is she smiling?". This seemed like a good segue to describe her to you.



Sierra is a pretty quiet rattie. She hardly ever barks and she doesn't go looking for things to bark at like some of the other dogs in my house :) She could so easily get lost in the shuffle as she is not demanding or in your face like some dogs are. I worry as her foster mom and I know that she needs to be adopted by someone who will make sure to give her attention and not just sort of forget about her as she likes to hang back and observe what's going on  much of the time.






BUT to think Sierra is boring or not a fascinating dog would be so far from the truth because like the Mona Lisa she has this intrigue, and yes it looks like she is smiling at times. Her lips get caught on her teeth and she will be looking up at me with a full toothed smile! It is a cutest thing you have ever seen.

Sierra's smile.


The other thing she has is a twinkle in her eye. You know how there are some charismatic people who have this twinkle that you are just drawn to? Sierra has that. She can give a side glance like a person would do. She has this look in her eye sometimes like she has in inside joke with herself and she isn't telling anyone else what she is thinking. But if you go pick her up and give her some love, she will share her secret joke with you in the form of a lick right on your cheek. I LOVE this about her.

I melt when she looks at me like this


And just when I think she is not paying any attention to me, like when I go upstairs for something, she will get down from her favorite chair and quietly run up the stairs behind me and while I am walking she will nip gently at my pant legs letting me know she is on to me going into another room. If I turn to talk to her, she has this little impish smile that just tickles me and makes me laugh.

Sierra looking up at foster dad


Sierra is not a rattie who likes her picture taken. It's as if she already knows how cute she is and is good with that. She doesn't need any silly blog posts written about her with her picture plastered around for everyone to see. She is good with who she is. Who is Sierra? She is a dog who likes her space when she first meets new people and situations, but if you give her that space and time to get to know you, she will let you into her secret world where she gives you knowing sideways glances and if you're lucky you will see her toothy grin. And then when she really trusts you she will nip at your heels to show her affection and to say, "I accept you and want you to know it".

Sierra happy to be on the porch looking out even by herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment