I volunteer for New Rattitude Rat Terrier Rescue
Helping to find rescued Ratties in need their second chance at life in good fit forever homes.




Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Gauge learns to sit for his dinner

Part of helping Gauge be all that he can be is helping him in a positive way to learn a few manners that he just might not have picked up along the way on the mean streets of California.  I use this exercise with all the dogs I temp or foster. Basically I just hold the food dish in my hand until the hungry guy sits then upon sitting I put the dish down and say "good sit". Normally I don't use any language at all in the beginning, but of course because the camera was on I had to say SOMETHING so I asked Gauge to sit.
New to this video camera thing I had forgotten to delete all the other videos and pictures so you don't get to see me put the dish down for Gauge but you get the idea. I love how excited he gets to eat but not completely over the top. Sometime I will record feeding time at my house and post it......we have barking (Sage), whining (Liza), and then there is Skip who runs from one end of the house throwing his ball in the air and then chasing it down, catching it, and killing it, over and over and over, Jenny gets a whimper in now and then besides clawing at my knee and Birdie sits quietly waiting for her dish right where her dish lives.

 But for now here is sweet Gauge learning manners.....


No comments:

Post a Comment