I volunteer for New Rattitude Rat Terrier Rescue
Helping to find rescued Ratties in need their second chance at life in good fit forever homes.




Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Boys Check Out The New Chick's Pad

We are getting ready for little Neon, the 5 month old puppy girl we will be fostering in a little over 12 hours from now. Because puppies need lots of supervision and a safe place to be when the human can't watch over them fully, we use this huge dog crate when we have a puppy in the house. Neon will eat and nap in here. And if I have to run out or upstairs I will need it as a playpen to keep her safe while I am away. Whenever I am getting things ready for a new foster dog the other dogs always have to check things out to make sure they aren't missing anything. This time it is Skip and Tim who were interested in what mom was doing.

I wasn't sure if this new addition to the living room would worry Timken.

He was surprisingly brave and although there is a slight "Timken Lean",  his signature body language for when he is nervous about checking something out, he was pretty relaxed, his tail is not tucked and that is a good sign.

In short order he even entered the crate. I was able to use my zoom as I knew if I got too close to him he would have darted out and I didn't want him to feel he had to be concerned about anything. Good Boy!

A bit later Skip decided to go in and take a rest. Poor Skip has a sore leg from playing too much ball the other day so he has been a bit under the weather, he liked this new comfy place to rest.

Then I put some toys in the crate for Neon to play with. Tim was very perplexed about this new addition and was sitting staring at me and trembling a bit. I reassured him and just sat down quietly with the video camera ready to see if he would go explore the toys.
 Sure enough, with me out of the way he showed his bravery again and even got in and gave the toys a bit of a sniff.


Skip sniffs Tim as Tim sniffs the toys. It's all about the sniffing, lol

Skip has that look like, mom could you just get Tim out of here so I can relax again?

As I was editing the above pictures I glanced in the crate and Skip had taken up the dog bed and Tim had gone in and actually laid down!

Sweet Skip. The funny thing is if I had WANTED those boys to go into the crate and lie down they probably would have not wanted to do it. Isn't that the way it always goes with these silly ratties???

So stay tuned for Neon's cute self! This will be interesting to see how Tim does with a puppy. I already know that my older dogs will not be amused. We are looking forward to meeting Neon and fostering her to adoption.

No comments:

Post a Comment