I volunteer for New Rattitude Rat Terrier Rescue
Helping to find rescued Ratties in need their second chance at life in good fit forever homes.




Sunday, November 17, 2013

Behind The Scenes Rescue Angel/Lynn Bonham

Little Vespa says "Thank you to Lynn Bonham for rescuing me"
Moon says "Thank you Lynn!"
The biggest question I get when talking to people about being a foster mom for New Rattitude is "How can you foster a dog then let the dog go to his forever home?", and the second biggest question is, "why do all your foster dogs come from California?"

Sierra (left) would not be able to use all 4 legs if Lynn hadn't helped to get her the surgery she needed. And Nash would not be able to be in a loving family with 2 kids that he adores if it weren't for Lynn.
When I started volunteering for NR I had no idea how a rescue works. I knew what foster parents did, sort of,  and I was trained to be an Adoption Coordinator. I knew why I wanted to volunteer for a dog rescue as I had been taught from day one that adopting a dog or cat was a good way to make sure that I would be helping to give a dog or cat a home who really needed one and would be euthanized otherwise. Being that I am from CA I heard all the time even in the 60's and 70's how many dogs and cats were euthanized and things seem to be still quite the same today. So for me there was no other option when I was ready to add another canine friend to my life but to adopt.

Pixie says "I love you Lynn and thank you for rescuing me"

I try to explain to people how and why our NR foster parents in WA/OR get our foster dogs from Central CA, but it is tough to explain all the intricacies, not to mention get all the steps right and all the players who work behind the scenes. As a foster parent and also AC I am very well known to the adopters of our rescue dogs and they are always so appreciative of what I/we foster parents do for these sweet babies. But we are at the end of the rescue journey and all our foster dogs wouldn't have made it to our home without the many volunteers in CA who are the real "rescuers".

Isetta is so happy that Lynn nursed her back to health and she is giving her adoptive family more joy than they could imagine.

There are so many unsung heroes in rescue and one of them is Lynn Bonham in the Central CA region. Lynn is a rescue angel who took under her wings some of my foster dogs, Luke, Vespa, Isetta, Sierra, Cony, Moon, Hudson, Pixie, Timken, Nash, Morgan, Sunbeam, Landau, Chevette. These dogs all were recipients of Lynn's unfailing dedication to helping the small working dogs who really do not do well in a shelter situation. These are just my foster dogs, there are so so many other dogs who were fostered by other foster parents that Lynn has helped to safety.

Luke was rescued with his sister Leia and they both live together in Alaska, Luke says "Thank you Lynn".
Cony is the apple of his dad's eye. Lynn went and got him from his previous owner who could not keep him any longer. Cony is so grateful he got a second chance at a happy home.

Please read the two stories about The California-Washington Rescue Railroad, and the other is specifically about Lynn Bonham, I promise you will be truly inspired by her dedication.


Lynn knew Timken needed to get out of the situation he was in with backyard breeders, and he is now safe and learning he can trust humans, all because Lynn kept at it and made sure he was safe and on the Rescue Railroad to WA state.
From the bottom of our hearts and all the dogs (and cats) that Lynn has rescued over the years, Thank You Lynn for your unselfish support. Please read her story here http://www.newrattitude.org/newsletter.htm

1 comment: