I volunteer for New Rattitude Rat Terrier Rescue
Helping to find rescued Ratties in need their second chance at life in good fit forever homes.




Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sierra Makes Progress in Small But Many Steps

In my last post you read about how Sierra started swim therapy to help with her post luxating patella surgery. Another part of her therapy includes lots of walking and this is another thing she really enjoys. Sierra is always up for getting in her crate in the car and heading out to go for a walk. I hope you can see in the videos how she is letting her leg hang down while she walks and also she does a little air stepping. She still does not usually let the foot touch down, but this is progress from her first walks with us where she held the leg up much tighter to her side. We still believe that with swim therapy and walking and stretching she will be using the leg, we just don't know when, but we have faith it will happen.

I managed to get a couple of photos of her today too and out of the many that we took a couple came out pretty well.

This is a photo that demonstrates Sierra's mistrust of the camera. I really don't like seeing her this way, poor girl.

In this picture I was able to snap before she noticed as she was checking out the smells and sights on the trail. Such a pretty girl.
Foster dad managed to get this one as she stopped to check something out.

With so many spring sights, smells, and sounds everyone had a different idea on what to focus their attention on.
These videos are short as Sierra would be on to me recording her and so she would turn around and stop walking. I don't know how she knew I was recording as the video recorder is silent! Anyhow I think you will be able to see what I mean about her using her left leg as if she were walking with it but not touching the foot down. I am hoping that in the near future she will be using all four. That is our wish for her.


5 comments:

  1. cute girl. hope she gets well soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for looking at my blog and Sierra is doing better every day!

      Delete
  2. Sierra airwalks like our Vespa! What a beautiful girl! (And now we're so excited to take Vessy to Splash Dog!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet Vespa would love SplashDog! If you do take her there, ask for J Linn and tell her we sent you! So happy to hear from you and hope you all are doing well! Give Vespa and Elphie a kiss for me.

      Delete
  3. Oh I bet Vespa would love SplashDog! If you do take her there, ask for J Linn and tell her we sent you! So happy to hear from you and hope you all are doing well! Give Vespa and Elphie a kiss for me.

    ReplyDelete