I volunteer for New Rattitude Rat Terrier Rescue
Helping to find rescued Ratties in need their second chance at life in good fit forever homes.




Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Love at first sight!


Sage: One venerated for experience, judgment, and wisdom
When I first laid eyes on this dear boy he was just a picture on an urgent list of Rat Terriers that if not rescued by either a private adopter or a rescue group would be euthanized. My post on our group site was,

Name: A176564
Location: San Luis Obispo
Age: Senior

This dog breaks my heart. I feel so awful for him. 

Well that was June 15th 2011. When I got home from work that day, I opened the urgent list in my email inbox and showed the dog that had been coined "old guy" to my husband. He immediately said "see what we have to do to get him".  Long story short, I emailed someone, who emailed someone, who emailed someone, and with the help of two angels in Sacramento, CA,  I was flying down to Sacramento to transport "old guy", now named Sage, to our home in WA state. I will always be indebted to these two wonderful women. One of them drove 5 hours to San Luis Obispo to adopt him for me from the shelter, and then she drove him all the way back to Sacramento, and the other woman took care of Sage until I could get on a plane and come and get him. He made his way into their hearts too.

Now I see many dogs in the same position as Sage and truthfully I wish I could adopt them all. But there was something about him that I fell in love with. Maybe it was just meant to be. I think by saving him we are saving our selves just a little bit. He is such a beautiful soul. We are honored to have him in our midst.

1 comment:

  1. It also breaks my heart to read stories of dogs that weren't taken care of properly and ended up in rescue centers. Though I'm happy they were rescued, it still breaks me to know that there are people who would get, buy or adopt a dog and not have time for them.

    ReplyDelete