I volunteer for New Rattitude Rat Terrier Rescue
Helping to find rescued Ratties in need their second chance at life in good fit forever homes.




Monday, September 29, 2014

Annie And I Have A Plan Part 3 Eye Contact

Eye contact....this part of the plan is coming along great! I have been using Annie's evening meal of blueberries, dehydrated venison, and pumpkin to reinforce eye contact.

I sit on the floor and she comes and sits in front of me. She will now look right into my eyes and then I give her a little bite. We do this until the food is all gone and she gets to lick out the dish. In the beginning she would look at the dish, walk around, sniff the ground, try to get the food from the dish. Occasionally she would glance toward me and I would scoop a little bite out and hand feed her. I don't have a video of this but I do have photos of her looking right at me now that we have worked on this the last few days.

She is also looking to me on our walks! It is amazing how quickly these little terriers learn if you just take the time to reinforce what behavior you are looking for.

On our walk today we worked on recall and eye contact. Here is sweet Annie looking at me, I had just called her name. She got a high value treat after we took the picture. Good girlie!

Annie does this adorable sit pretty when she would like to get in my lap. How could I resist this? I can't....

Another great eye contact moment tonight when we were working with her evening meal. I had been sitting on the ottoman and she knew exactly what to do to get a bite of food. She is becoming much more engaged with us as she figures out all the yummy good stuff we freely offer her for all her hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment