I volunteer for New Rattitude Rat Terrier Rescue
Helping to find rescued Ratties in need their second chance at life in good fit forever homes.




Tuesday, July 16, 2013

In Between Foster Dogs Part 3 Skip And I Take Our First T-Touch Class

Skip and I were invited by a fellow foster mom to a T-Touch workshop by Lori Stevens for senior dogs. Skip is not quite ready to think of himself as senior but that didn't matter at all. There was wonderful information and techniques for dogs of any age. This was a big thing for him. The class was all day long and he had lots of new people and dogs he had to maneuver. I am happy to say Skip did really well and best of all he asked to get up in a lap of someone he has met quite a few times and finally felt comfortable to get closer to. Skip is the kind of boy who needs lots of space and to choose to engage when he is ready, as you can see here he WAS ready and took full advantage of a safe, gentle lap.

Hi Julee, I think I'm ready to get to know you better..
Skip checking in with me to let me know he is getting brave.....while NR alum Boushey "Boo" says hi to Julee who was his foster mom a year ago.
Ahhhhh that's the ticket, Skip made it into Julee's lap and snuggled in for quite some time. Later that day I got an email from Julee who is now completely smitten with Skip. He does have that magic power.
Once we learned about some T-Touch we then took time to practice on our dogs. T-Touch is a very slow and gentle touch and as you can see Skip got very relaxed after about 5 minutes of me working on him. He kind of fell into my lap.

And then he went to sleep.

Here is Boo again, he and Skip showed the rest of the class how terriers rule. They had fun barking at a few intruders and just being their funny goofy selves. What would any class be without a couple of terriers in it?
Here is Boo getting worked on by his mom
After effects of T-Touch......

We had a very nice day together and now I have even more tools to work with all our dogs and foster dogs too! We learned that less is more when touching dogs, and with my new foster dog who you will meet very soon, this is going to be very helpful because she is super sensitive to noise and touch. I really learned a lot and am grateful to Julee that she invited me to come along! Please feel free to check out Julee's cool foster dog blog here http://cattierattie.blogspot.com/,

No comments:

Post a Comment